Port Credit is neighbourhood in the city of Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, located at the mouth of the Credit River on the north shore of Lake Ontario. Until 1974, Port Credit was an incorporated town within the County of Peel. Port Credit’s boundaries are the Queen Elizabeth Way to the north, Seneca Avenue and the western edge of the Adamson Estate to the east and Godfrey’s Lane and the townhouse complex located on the west side of Shawnmarr Road
to the west. It had a population of 10,260 at the 2001 census.
Port Credit was originally a settlement of the Mississauga Ojibwe first nations band and a trading post established in 1720 for the exchange of goods from the Europeans for furs trapped by the Mississaugas. After theWar of 1812, a harbour was established by the Mississaugas together with European settlers. In 1847, the Mississaugas left the village to relocate on the Six Nations Reserve to be with other band members and first nations. Industry was established on the village periphery including an oil refinery, but the village is no longer a substantial industrial district. The village survived into the 20th century, becoming an independent municipality in 1909, until it was merged with the City of Mississauga in 1974.
Today, the original core village is now a heritage conservation district. The harbour is mostly used for recreational boating.